Wednesday, November 14, 2007

First adjustment

I went to go see Dr. Kunik for my first adjustment today. They are so great. It only took about fifteen minutes. Anyway, I did talk to him about a tentative surgery date. At first, he thought it would take a year in braces before my teeth were ready. I had expressed to him that I was really hoping for next summer before we hit the "busy season" at work. We changed my time in between adjustments from six weeks to four weeks and I got a power chain put on one side of my bottom teeth. I had a really bad experience the first time I got my wisdom teeth out so it took my seven years to go back and do the other side. Waiting so long caused some significant crowding in front. Hopefully, this chain will get things moving. They also double upped the wire on the top. I think they plan on using a larger guage next time. He thinks we can make it to where my teeth will be ready for the summer. Then, maybe I could be completely done before New Year's next year! So, things might be a bit more painful, but it will be worth it to stay on schedule. I have yet to take pictures with my new grill, but will post some soon.
-On another note, I also found out why I already have surgery hooks. The orthodontist said that mine are part of the bracket. He doesn't want to risk having any removal parts on my braces after surgery since they are doing so much work. I guess it is better to be safe then sorry. I least they aren't cutting my lips to shreds anymore.


Kristy Clucas said...

do u mean actual surgical hooks, or the regular hooks that are on brackets. Mine have hooks on them, well the further back brackets, and then they placed the surgical hooks on the wires at the front where there are no hooks on the this what u mean?

Rachel said...

I have hooks full across the front on the bottom and two hooks on the brackets at the top (but they are clear). I'll have metal mouth pics up soon.

Brandyleigh35 said...

Hey Rachel,
Welcome to the soon to be orthognathic surgery survivor group! I almost at the end of this journey, but started out where you did.

I just had Upper, lower, and genio done May 23 (about 6 months ago)I'm very happy with my results but it took me a year in braces also before I could have my surgey. Actually a little longer.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you luck and let you know that I added your blog to my links. Also, that when I had my surgery I didn't have to wear a splint or rubberbands. I could open my mouth directly after surgery. I too had read a lot of horror stories about splints, so I was thrilled to not have to wear one!

Anyway, feel free to check out my blog if you want. I have kept a pretty detailed account of what has happened, and posted lots of pics.